By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why I think Natal will do below expectations

first please notice this is NOT a troll thread, I believe Natal will be a great product when its released and I believe MS is capable of making such a product.

This is why I think it will not do as well as people think: Personally I know over 9 people who have bought wii's, 5 of these NEVER play with it anymore and 2 of them barely play it. The thing is most people always keeps saying that NATAL will make Xbox 360 sell like no console has ever done, the thing is, I doubt it.. Many people experienced the Wii and VERY few actually think its as phenominal as everyone said it was (out of people I know) I don't think many casuals are waiting for a next Wii mote (Natal or Sony's wand).

I therefore think Natal will do BELOW expectations

please no flaming, if you agree/disagree give proper reasoning

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

Around the Network

I've seen a lot of high expectations for it. I think it's come too late for it to many any real impact. Had Natal been released near the beginning of the generation, it could have been huge. Releasing it 5 years after the 360 launch isn't going to change much in terms of the system's influence. And besides, the Natal hype among some 360 fans is almost embarrassing as the LittleBigPlanet hype among PS3 fans. Remember how that was supposed to bring in all the casual gamers? Well, exactly.

gamelover2000 said:

first please notice this is NOT a troll thread, I believe Natal will be a great product when its released and I believe MS is capable of making such a product.

This is why I think it will not do as well as people think: Personally I know over 9 people who have bought wii's, 5 of these NEVER play with it anymore and 2 of them barely play it. The thing is most people always keeps saying that NATAL will make Xbox 360 sell like no console has ever done, the thing is, I doubt it.. Many people experienced the Wii and VERY few actually think its as phenominal as everyone said it was (out of people I know) I don't think many casuals are waiting for a next Wii mote (Natal or Sony's wand).

I therefore think Natal will do BELOW expectations

please no flaming, if you agree/disagree give proper reasoning

I see people say stuff like this all the time, using their friends as a sample space. I know a whole bunch of people who always play their Wii's, does that mean everyone plays it all the time? No. But nor does your statement prove that only 20% of people regularly play theirs.

And seeing as how that seems to be the basis of your argument, it pretty much falls flat.

I think Natal will do very well, because MS wants it to do well. And if MS really wants to push something than they can and will relentlessly.I'm expecting some pretty sweet software to come out with it too (i can just picture playing a strategy game using Natal, it makes me all fuzzy inside!!!)

Also out of curiosity, how do you think the PS3Mote will do?

I said so in my first post, not very well either, I think both projects will have to advance and be used in the next generation to have any real impact..

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

At least TC had a rationale for his assertion of underperforming. However, there are several reasons why the Wii is not the best comparable. 1. it stinks as a game machine. 2. NATAL is more than motion, Voice should play a huge role. 3. The UI aspects of it combined with ever expanding LIVE services.

Around the Network

Natal will be forward compatible with future Microsoft consoles I personally believe so it could be that for the first couple of years it establishes the technology this generation so it's ready for the next.

I don't think expectations are high for natal sales. More like hopes are high it will be good

Well i think neither Sony or MS motion will do wonders as Nintendo's Wii did. Sony and MS are simply making it just to gain the new gamers Nintendo already did and to say "hey, our consoles have motion stuff blah blah too so think twice before buying that Wii".

My theory is these companies need to be passionate about what they do and thats the only way to ever succeed.
- Nintendo was passionate about the motion from day-one, and they succeeded.
- Sony was passionate about Blu-ray in their PS3 and they've done it.
- MS was passionate about beating Sony and bringing in good games like the PS2 did and not be like the original Xbox, and so far MS is succeeding.

But MS and Sony were never passionate about motion so i dont think they shouldve even bothered.

My Wii has become boring to me, but that's not why I think Natal won't be as big as some people think. The reason is that there's only so much you can do without a controller. I know it sounds great to be able to play games completely controller free, but there are some actions that just require a button and what about movement? How are you going to move front to back and side to side? Are you gonna run in place? I think Natal will be good for certain types of games, but it is not going to turn into the new revolutionary interface that will take over the industry. The Wii and PS3 already have/are going to have motion controls that allow the extra and necessary interface of buttons and control sticks.

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

Personally I think that natal might come too late to the party

Still as far as I know the reason why people eventually stop playing the Wii is due to the lack of quality games when compared to the PS3 or 360