By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gran Turismo 5, the first 20 million selling GT... maybe.

Iam sure this will be very popular with many, well iam bored got the whole day of due to court going fast. .   Now iam not saying it will do surely do 20m, iam saying its a possability and heres why.  Now many of you might not understand some points as you arent car or racing fans.  So if aint got a clue just stay out and stfu about it.  

Ohh and "m" stands for millions, so 4m = 4 milllion.  

All time high Franchise strength and support.

GT5p which can be said is a mere 5% content of what the full game will hold sold a massive 4.1m.  That $40 demo out sold its nearest competitior Forza2 (3.5 million according to Turn10)  It did greater first week numbers launching on a 12m user base then Forza 3 did launching on 34m.

Manafactuer support.
Mitsu debuted the Evo 10 in GT5p at the same time as at the Tokyo Motor Show
Nissan did same for GTR
Ferrari debuted the California
Toyota showed of the FT86 through a GT5p video.
Mercedes Benz showed of the SLS AMG
Citroen made the GT with PD.
and so on.

Gran Turismo tied to these major car makers is great publicity, millions of the fans of these carmakers are exposed to GT through stuff like that.  These major fanbases are potential new customers of GT.  Ferrari being the newest and biggest one debuting the California using GT5p screens and vid.

Sony support, its the only +10 million seller they have.  GT5 by the simplicity of logistics will have by far the biggest ad budget of any Sony game this gen.  Hell GT5p probbaly too care of most costs associated with this game.  

Top Gear Test Track

TG is broadcast in more than 100 countries, global audience of 350 million.  Is the most illegally downloaded show on the planet, so quite the following.  So imagine TG hosts blabing on during the show about GT5 having their test track, the publicity for GT5.  The test track being in GT5 and only GT5 is massive.  Hell i know i cant wait to beat the Stigs time with some of my fav cars.  TGs fanbase wants to run their track they can only do it in GT5.  Ohh and Yamauchi san would smash the record in star in a resonably priced car!!!  He should be on Top Gear during launch week to promoto GT5 the greatest racing sim ever!

Unrivled Content amount

Online support - first GT too implement massive online support,  GT4 online and GT5p being test beds for GT5s.   

- 1000 cars - no first GT of a gen has ever had this many cars.  (GT and GT3 had less then 200) massive amount opens up more potential sales as fans of specific cars can find them only in GT5.
- Damage - big deal for some.  To me only Rally damage is big.  And not fake bs damage, but real-time deformation.
- Official Nascar - very popular in southenr states, 1.3 million is best selling nascar game.
- Official WRC - 2.8 million is best selling rally game, in 2007 wrc had a world wide audinece of over 800 million. 
- GT tv - video game nerds might not care but u are not car fans.  I watched the GTR story, in Japanese.  I don't understand Japanese.  (great feature for all casual to hardcore GT players) i love these vids.  GT TV might become my best palce to watch all Top Gear in HD. 

The famous user base argument a favorite of anti GT foolishness.  GT sold to 120 million PS2 bs and so on.

GT3 come out when there were 12 million PS2s ok, its succesor was out around the time PS2 was hitting 60ish million.  GT4 sold less on a user base more then twice that size funny aint it.  Many games sold huge numbers on a small non PS2 like user base.

Halo3 - 10.3m on a 34m userb, launched on 12m.
SSBM - 7m on 24 userb.
Mario64 - 11.89 on 33m userb.
Moder Warfare 2 (PS3) 3.5m first week (26m userb)
Modern Warfare2 (360) 5.2 million first week (33m usrb)

I guess GT being the only sim racer of such caliber makes it hard for some to correctly judge its sales capability since you have nothing to really compare it to, and most on here were never GT fans or car fans so many are like fish out of water.

Majority of GT5 sales will clearly come from Europe pretty good thing since Europe is PS3 best market.  NA will see considerable pick up from GT4 due online and huge car list while Japan/Asia should be good for give or take 2/3 million.

Possible numbers.

Europe 7-10m (halo3 sold 7.5m in NA, GT3 did 7.14 million in NA so numbers that high are possible)
NA 5-7m
Japan/Asia 2/3m

Could pull of a record 20 million, will depand on alot but its actually possible.  GT5 to PS3 is like Halo is xbox or Mario is Nintendo.  
Every system in every gen has that one stand out game, that game that is above everythinjg else in just about every way from quality to sales.  GT5 is that game for PS3.  

this should be fun.

Around the Network

No.

Madness

Also NO.

Not possible at all. No way. Never ever ever.

And seeing that the guy who just said SMG2 will outperform MW2 just got an image, you must get one too... Sorry.

Around the Network

Racing sims can only sell so much. It's not going to appeal to over 50% of the PS3 userbase.

20m is over the limit I believe. I would say it will reach 10m not more.

At some point, something must have come from nothing...

...nothing can come from nothing...

You make it sound so easy lol

If he does go on top gear and if he does promote it. And if they have a show where half of it is about GT5 then i will agree with you.

If not then no

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

The generation will be over before the PS3 even has the userbase to do this.
Attach rate says no.

I might give the series 10 million but there is no way it reaches 20 million.