By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why doesn't Sony listen to Square Enix?

It must be frustrating these days to be the President of Square Enix, he came out recently with statements criticizing the Playstation 3's lack of focus in it's marketing (the system being shown as a jack of all trades instead of focusing on it as a game machine), only to apparently have Sony not listen to him.   Kaz Hirai has told The Financial Times that the company will be using Blu-Ray as a major part of it's future PS3 advertising as it works closely with Sony Pictures and Sony Entertainment to "get the Blu-Ray message out".  What message this will send to the President of Square Enix is anyone's guess but with so much money tied up in PS3 development with several large expensive projects in the works and disappointing PS3 sales to date one can only imagine what he must be thinking.

source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/28334/Blu-Ray-to-front-Sony-marketing-attack

Around the Network

They don't listen to Square Enix because everytime SE complains about the PS3, they turn around and toss another game right onto it.

Actions speak louder than words, I guess...

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Send a mail to Sony then with the question.

That is in line with what Wada suggested. S-E merely said that Sony need to straighten up their marketiing and be fully focused into pressing it forward rather then changing every month.

Sony's clear marketing strategy is to promote Blu-ray and games. If they drive both these things through, they would have done what S-E requested.

crap source = crap thread.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/723678f8-67af-11dc-8906-0000779fd2ac.html

“The PS3 is first and foremost a video games machine but we want to say – by the way, it’s a great Blu-ray player as well,” Mr Hirai said. Marketing efforts in the US, Europe and Japan would highlight the PS3 as a Blu-ray disc player as well.

I guess you don't see the boost Spiderman on Br could be.

Around the Network
Hus said:
crap source = crap thread.

“The PS3 is first and foremost a video games machine but we want to say – by the way, it’s a great Blu-ray player as well,” Mr Hirai said. Marketing efforts in the US, Europe and Japan would highlight the PS3 as a Blu-ray disc player as well.

I guess you don't see the boost Spiderman on Br could be.

How about quoting the first part of the article which basically repeats what I've said...

"Sony is to step up its marketing campaign for the PlayStation 3 and emphasise that the games console is a Blu-ray disc player.

The move is aimed at boosting both the PS3 and the Sony-backed DVD format ahead of the holiday season.

Kaz Hirai, president of the games unit, told the Financial Times it was working closely with Sony Pictures and Sony Entertainment to "get the Blu-ray message out". It was a delicate "balancing act" for Sony Computer Entertainment. "

jhlennon1 said:
That is in line with what Waga suggested. S-E merely said that Sony need to straighten up their marketiing and be fully focused into pressing it forward rather then changing every month.

Sony's clear marketing strategy is to promote Blu-ray and games. If they drive both these things through, they would have done what S-E requested.

I don't see how this is in line with what Waga suggested but I guess people see things differently.  I took Waga's comments of: “Sony first unveiled the PS3 as a mighty home electronics product. Then, after some badgering from game companies, it shifted the position of the console closer to a game machine … (the future of the PS3) would be tough if its marketing strategy is not straightened up.”, to mean that he wants Sony to focus on the PS3 being a game console rather than a Blu-Ray player / videogame console / whatever.

I think having the blue-ray player has helped SONY tremendously. Just look at the jump in sales when the free Blue-ray movies where announced. I just don't see how this could hurt SONY in any way. If your a gamer then you KNOW the playstation 3 plays games and if you had a playstation 2 odds are you know the playstation 3 is a gaming machine. The reason it isn't selling is because of lack of content and high price which you can say is related to it having a blue-ray drive but not because people don't know that it plays games. I just don't see this as being a big deal as based on my experience people know it is game machine but just on the expensive side.

This is just your xbot view on it.

They are marketing it and plan to push it hard, thats a good thing.

it plays games and Br movies, market that forget everything else.

Hus said:
This is just your xbot view on it.

They are marketing it and plan to push it hard, thats a good thing.

it plays games and Br movies, market that forget everything else.

Chill out with the name calling. That's like a perfect way to get banned.