By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - S-E says their White Engine is not too powerful for the Wii.

Square-Enix Rechristens White Engine, Plans To Bring It To Wii

Taku Murata, general manager of Square-Enix's research and development division, announced at today's GDC session that the company has dropped the White Engine name for its cross-platform game engine. Squenix is now pitching it as Crystal Tools, showing off a fancy new logo that extends the Final Fantasy brand even further.

While the internal, companywide development platform was originally understood to be built for PlayStation 3 development (specifically, Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy versus XIII), it has being designed with multiple platforms, including the Xbox 360 and PC, in mind. Murata also confirmed that a version is being readied for the Wii, which is still very early, but we don't expect it to kick out visuals on par with the PS3.

Not a shock. The engine did start on the PS2, so of coure it could work on other systems.

Also, the new name fits. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:

Square-Enix Rechristens White Engine, Plans To Bring It To Wii

Taku Murata, general manager of Square-Enix's research and development division, announced at today's GDC session that the company has dropped the White Engine name for its cross-platform game engine. Squenix is now pitching it as Crystal Tools, showing off a fancy new logo that extends the Final Fantasy brand even further.

While the internal, companywide development platform was originally understood to be built for PlayStation 3 development (specifically, Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy versus XIII), it has being designed with multiple platforms, including the Xbox 360 and PC, in mind. Murata also confirmed that a version is being readied for the Wii, which is still very early, but we don't expect it to kick out visuals on par with the PS3.

Not a shock. The engine did start on the PS2, so of coure it could work on other systems.

Also, the new name fits. 

For the most part the differences between a previous generation engine (like the Unreal 2 Engine) and its current generation equlivalent (the Unreal 3 Engine) is the addition of features which take advantage of the increased processing power which (if the engine is well developed) should be optional.

Could KH3 be multi-platform then?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:

I would LOVE to see KH3 go multi.

but for Wii addition, I would like to see some true innovation, no more "instead of press Attack button, you wiggle your Wiimote" garbage. 

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
kingofwale said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

but for Wii addition, I would like to see some true innovation, no more "instead of press Attack button, you wiggle your Wiimote" garbage.

It could be for super attacks, or or use swings for wide swipes with the blade (for when you are inevitably surrounded), while you just press triggger for regular attacks. 

Around the Network

To me, this basically confirms Kingdom Hearts 3 for Wii.

Regarding swinging the Wii-mote for attacking, I think they should definitely do it, but not have pre-done animations for the swings. Get it to dynamically generate the animation based on the subtleties of your swings, and it'll be great. Also, to do spells, press a button and move the Wii-Mote the way Sora (or whoever you are) would do it. For example, thrust forward for a Fire spell, or point upward for Cure. It could feel great, imo

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

>To me, this basically confirms Kingdom Hearts 3 for Wii.

with people claiming this confirms KH3 for Wii and say it's 100%. Please explain to me how you can be so sure.

In fact, if you are so, why not risk 1 week ban for it? ;)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Soriku said:
kingofwale said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

I'd HATE for KH3 to be multi and I'm 100% positive it won't be and will be Wii exclusive.

I've already said the CT For the Wii is different from the CT for the PS3/360/PC. Unless they want to gimp games I don't think they'll do that. Besides, when was the last time SE has gimped a game? Honestly, a big game like KH3 won't involve fooling around.

Well you may hate it, but if S-E thinks there is more money, they could do it.

Plus it wouldn't have to cost too much. We're already seeing the Wii get much better graphics than last gen. So the game would be made first for the Wii, with only texture and screen resolution increased on the other systems.

Plus then they could make more money offering ports of the first two games (and maybe CoM Final Mix) on the Wii and 360 for newcomers to the series. 

LoL @ tittle of the thread. =))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Soriku said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

No.

The Crystal Tools for Wii is downgraded compared to the PS3/360/PC versions. So if it comes to the Wii, it'll be exclusive.

Ha, Soriku. Why could KH3 not be multiplatform. While I do think it'll come to Wii, you can't let your fanboy cloud your vision. It could easily be a PS3/360 title.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.