By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ghostbusters Not Canceled & Will Not Be Canceled (Official Statement)

edit: For those who haven't seen much about the game, check this out.

Rumortoid: Future of Ghostbusters and Brutal Legend in question
by Conrad Zimmerman on 07.28.2008     25 comments

Ghostbusters

The latest release schedule from Activision Blizzard has just been submitted and there are two glaring absences: Ghostbusters and Brutal Legend. Gamesindustry.biz is reporting that they've been canceled, but let's all just take a deep breath for a moment.

Our sources have received word that Ghostbusters is still in production, so that's some good news. There's still no firm confirmation regarding Brutal Legend, but it had a pretty reasonable amount of hype going and it's hard for me to imagine it has been canned. Doesn't mean it hasn't, but I'd take this all with a very large grain of salt.

If I were forced to speculate (and I am) I'd suspect that this is just something that's been overlooked due to the complexities of the merger between Activision and Blizzard. I've heard stories of an entire studio being forgotten about in the shuffle of paper that's been going on, so failing to mention a couple of projects isn't all that surprising.

Still, I'm going to sleep a whole lot better once we hear that Brutal Legend is still in the works. I'd hate to see Tim Schafer sad.

*UPDATE*

We have a quote from the Sierra PR team regarding Ghostbusters: "It is not cancelled and will not be cancelled."

[Via Gamesindustry.biz -- Thanks, Joe!]

Source

Sierra: Ghostbusters 'absolutely not cancelled'

Yesterday's news that Activision Blizzard was only holding onto a select few Vivendi/Sierra properties going forward didn't look good for those awaiting the seemingly triumphant return of Ghostbusters. We contacted Sierra about the game's absence from Blizzavision's "to keep" list, and whether said omission spelled doom for the Ecto-1 crew. Good news, everyone: the game's not giving up the ghost.

A spokesperson for Sierra confirmed that, "First and foremost, the game is absolutely not canceled." But does it have a publisher? "[Sierra] is reviewing its options regarding those titles that it will not be publishing," we were told.

While not explicitly stated, it definitely sounds like Sierra has begun the process of shopping its remaining titles around to other publishers. These include Double Fine's hotly anticipated heavy metal adventure Brütal Legend. We're still awaiting word on its fate, but can't imagine
Tim Schafer and crew letting a little publisher scuffle stop the rock.

Credit goes to:thekitchensink for finding this article.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

I forget about this game. I think any hype it had is lost now.

Official word that Ghostbusters hasn't been cancelled makes me feel better. I'll be 100% honest in saying that there isn't even one game that has been set to release from now to the end of the year that I want more, and if that game got canned I would boycott Activision for life (even though D3 is VERY high on my anticipation list). I'd really consider giving up on every non-Nintendo company if such an OBVIOUS oportunity was thrown aside.

Really, though, I'd be very happy to hear that this game is a-OK and that the Wii version is keeping up perfectly with any other versions. Ghostbusters Wii is my most anticpated game in 3-4 years easily, and may even be more desired than any game since SM64 if it is half as good as I hope.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Isn't it entirely possible that Activision would, instead of ditching hyped partially finished games, sell them to other publishers as is, in order to get some of their investment back. At this point, ghostbusters at least, is a property. There is no possible way they'll just destroy the equity they have in the product at this point.

They could sell the source on Ebay and make a million dollars. Games this far along don't just get dumped forever. They get converted, sold, or finished.

...unless you're Nintendo, in which case someone gets fired, the game gets dumped, the cost is insignificant to them, and life goes on.

Edit:

Speak of the devil

Published profit/loss:

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Aj_habfan said:
I forget about this game. I think any hype it had is lost now.

You may want to reconsider: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=35361

If not, its your loss =)

Around the Network

Bumping this since there was yet another thread made saying the game was canceled.

The game is not canceled and it does in fact look awesome and quite possibly has the best physics engine in gaming.

I really gonna get mad if Activision blocks this game,one of my favorite franchises ever and one of my most wanted games already.

Already a thread: http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=35796

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Already a thread: http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=35796

Not quite, this thread was 13 hours earlier. 

If you had beat me I would have had to lock my own thread...I think that would have been a first for me =P